December 18, 2014

"Why is your favorite book not a romance novel but your favorite genre is romance?"

“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.” 
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief


Favorite book: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


We all have a good reason for reading, and most of the time, our reason is to escape the evil reality. But when a book contains evil as well, perhaps it's the best way to learn not only about our own reality, but it is also the best way to learn about other people.

The whole of my existence is, and will hardly be defined by any Jane Austen novel that's why I have developed to the romance genre. Reading those things feel like I'm the one being courted and loved, especially since I feel I lack a love life. I'm not saying I'm miserable because I lack a love life, but the feeling of having a love life sure is something lovely to try. And while my Mr Darcy is still not there, I guess I'll just keep reading these stuff to keep the butterflies in my stomach.

And yet, I insist my favorite book is not a romantic novel.

Book Thief, despite it's story being narrated by Death, is not even romantic. Its plot is dark and it is full of sad, heartbreaking events. And despite the fact that this book is free from all things cheese, it is full of warmth through winter, and silence in the middle of war.

Book Thief's charm doesn't revolve around the fact that a little girl is starring in it. Its charm is seeing the human side of the world of a curious little girl. Death was full of human in his story telling too. The book is full of human and real. But why do I love it so much?

Simple: it is full of inspiration and learning. It may be fiction, but it is a book of bright ideas and lessons. Liesel may be a little girl, but she is a character whom you could learn a lot from. We learn from those who have lived long already but as you read through book thief, we tend to learn from a kid who's still learning and knowing about things. Her life was lived through a sad and depressing period in time but she has proved something. We can grow in these times. It is our choice whether we should stop growing. It is for us to decide what we want to be despite the many circumstances.

I also would like to note Zusak's amazing portrayal of Death in this book. I read somewhere that he thought he should be writing death as some pure evil. But in the end, death was so human. I think it was more haunting that death is more human. At the same time, it was more effective.

Just like Death in this story, we are bound to learn as we read and follow Liesel through her life with the Hubermanns. Through her friendship with Rudy and through her sorrow and worry in Max. Through the many things we all go through but pass of as regular.

Book Thief is rich of life-learnings, and warmth, enough to keep your heart full of love in any way possible. This book has "hugged" me in numerous ways possible, and I tell you, it's worth the read, and the love.


-Mic