August 25, 2014

Every Day

"In my experience, desire is desire, love is love. I have never fallen in love with a gender. I have fallen for individuals. I know this is hard for people to do, but I don't understand why it's so hard, when it's so obvious."- Every Day, David Levithan


A is not a boy, not a girl, not even someone in-between. He just exists. He goes from one person's body and takes over for a day. One day, he took over Justin's body and fell in love with Rhiannon, Justin's girlfriend.

This is A's journey in striving hard to keep Rhiannon constant in his life which was never-- and will never be constant.

Every Day's story is unique and original. My sister told me to read it for booktubeathon but I was already looking forward to plowing through this book since I read about its plot. The uniqueness of the plot and the protagonist was already interesting enough. A's world was properly explained and built for you.

A forced himself to have a constant which is Rhiannon. But A's life is constantly changing-- everything changed every single day.

The story permits us to enter the mind of an individual who loves and feels and is not a boy or a girl, or a transgender, etc. Yes, A certainly had problems with the people he inhabited but it wasn't them we were knowing even if we found out about their lives. It was A that is talking about what was in his head and heart.

The good thing I learned in this book was that there was no biology related in this book. A wasn't anything, he just had this mind, awareness, or heart (in a metaphorical way). He felt, and in Every Day, we learn how it is more important that we feel and think sincere instead of what we are.

However, the downside in this novel was A being obsessed with Rhiannon. He technically risked the bodies, and yes, even the lives of these people. He may be an individual to be respected, but didn't he at least think about the lives of these people? They're also individuals, and if I were to let someone borrow my life, I want it to be used for something more productive and meaningful. A has a right to love, but I think loving also has to compliment a responsibility-- love is responsibility as well, any way.

This story, for short, is a story of the concept of biology being separated from the concept of love and feelings. It is a story of learning to love and permitting change.

-Mic