November 5, 2016

Books on my Birthday Wishlist

Irrelevant photo from a mini trip during the long weekend. San Fernando, Pampanga. October 30, 2016. 
I haven’t posted anything new since September when I finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and honestly, I’ve been feeling guilty about not reading anything even if I promised myself I would stop doing reading hiatuses during mid-semesters. I feel awful for not keeping that promise and for just not trying to pick up Eleanor and Park from my shelf. Now, I’m two books behind my goodreads challenge–just when I thought I could finally succeed in the challenge.
But I'm turning nineteen this Monday! No, I don't have plans to treat myself to new books because I have a ton of other reading materials I need to get done. Not that I'm complaining. My professors actually have a couple of interesting books and reading materials lined up for the last month of the semester. It's just that I have to wait till the end of the semester (by the first or second week of December maybe) before I get the freedom to read the books on the list below:
Melissa Dela Cruz’s Something In Between. I wanted to stay away from contemporary reads so far, especially since I found myself getting soaked up on the genre too much but upon watching JesseTheReader’s video about this book and learning about its premise and synopsis, I just wanted to get a copy of it immediately. It centers around a Filipina teenager struggling with her status as an illegal immigrant of the United States. It’s not everyday that you get to see a book like this that not only has a Filipina character, but also discusses a timely and important issue. I’m looking forward to getting this book soon.
Anthony Doerr’s All the Light we Cannot See. My interest for this book comes from two other books. First, I wanted to read more books set in Nazi Germany since I fell in love with The Book Thief. Second, I really liked the adult feel of The Night Circus so I have been looking for fictional, magical ones that could help me with my longing for peculiar adult fiction. And this is where I arrived with my book-hunting so far and I can’t wait to dive in this book.
Of course, there are also new released books from the recent serieses and authors I’ve been following. These all YA books of course.
Cassandra Clare’s Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1). I waited patiently for this series, only to have to put off reading and getting it when it was released. I miss the Shadowhunter world and the new TV series wasn’t enough to fill the emptiness and longing I had for this new arc in the Shadowhunter universe. I am hoping to see new badass characters in this series, and the old favorites who are probably grown now.
Sarah J. Maas’s Empire of Storms (Crown of Midnight #5) The last book in this series may have developed the game in the Crown of Midnight U iverse but I wanted to put off reading this book for so long because Queen of Shadows had a peaceful ending– so peaceful I’m already too afraid to see how things will go down for this book. But I’m excited as well because it’s like we’re entering a new “saga” in Aelin’s life.
Rick Riordan’s The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #2) I loved the first book of this series (much like every single mythology-demigod-related book Uncle Rick wrote) and all I can say is that I’m excited to read this next installment. I haven’t read anything about this book yet and I want to keep it that way. But I’m hoping to see some action from Annabeth, weirder adventures for the Magnus and his gang, and of course a leading lady for Magnus perhaps? (I read somewhere that this part of his arc is to be tackled soon. I hope so!!)
I shall post about these books when I finally get the chance to get around reading them. I'll be a year older by then. But for now, I have to find time for myself and for the huge pile of school work I have to do.See you by then! 
-Mic